Sunday, May 22, 2011

Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops


I make my own prosciutto. I have two organic pork "picnics" hanging in my basement as I write this. They will be at 6 months hang-time in mid August. Charcuterie is a passion for me, and a necessity if I want to continue eating the way in which I am accustomed. I don't live in LA or New York, I live in middle America where finding the most wonderful, and unique food items the world has to offer presents more of a challenge than the coasts.

This is a classic recipe that has been done all over, but I feature it here because it is really good. And a great showcase for my prosciutto. One note about scallops. Do not buy or eat "Wet" scallops! Buy only what are called "Dry" scallops, as they have not been injected with nasty chemicals. Let food alone!

Alchemy Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops

1 # 20-30 (or larger) dry scallops
1/4 pound thin sliced prosciutto
4 whole branches of rosemary

Cilantro-Tomatillo Pesto

4 tomatillo (husks removed)
3 teeth garlic
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 roasted red onion
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Technique: Remove rosemary leaves from 3/4 of the rosemary branch, leaving a few at one end. Wrap scallops with the prosciutto and skewer them on the rosemary branches. Grill very lightly.

Under a broiler, scorch tomatillos, garlic, and onion. Puree in a food processor with seasonings and cilantro. serve warm with skewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment