Sunday, May 22, 2011

Forage Chronicles Part 2-Eatin' Weeds!


I like to forage for food. It makes me feel useful, resourceful, and thrifty. At the store I work at we are currently selling bunches of dandelion greens that were harvested who knows when, and trucked in at great expense from who knows where. I have millions of dandelions on our property this time of year. Seems like a misuse of resources to me. Dandelion green are delicious! Very much like arugula in their bitterness, and flavor. I will eat these until the fade away in a couple of weeks. I am sure anyone of you can go out and find pristine greens like these. We haven't ever used chemicals or synthetic products on our land so these would be really clean. Here is the salad I made with them. Enjoy!

De-Constructed Dandelion Salad

a big pile of dandelion leaves
1 large tomato
1/2 cucumber
3 Tbs. Blue cheese
6 strips of good bacon
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. good balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs. diced red or yellow bell pepper
a few green olives

Technique: Wash the greens and set them aside to dry. Cook the bacon (in cast iron skillet works best), cook until crisp and reserve the fat. Slice and portion all ingredients on a platter (as shown)Heat bacon fat up in the skillet and add the diced bell pepper. De glaze with balsamic vinegar and serve warm dressing with salad.

East preperation on this dish. Try it now while the dandelions are out.

No comments:

Post a Comment