Saturday, February 4, 2012

Taco Variations Part VI











Tacos would, and should be considered one of the primary meals I have enjoyed all my life. I grew up on them and eat them on such a regular basis that they could probably replace all other cuisines and I would be OK. In the 35 or so years that I have been preparing food for myself, friends, and my family, I have come up with countless versions, riffs, and various configurations of tacos, almost all of them being delicious. Here is one I have really started to appreciate lately. This meal takes very little time and works well for a day when I work late and have to have dinner on the table fast. Try these!

Chorizo Picadillo Tacos

(serves 4 people)


1 pound pork chorizo sausage (I used homemade Berkshire chorizo)
1 medium red onion (fine dice)
1 large poblano pepper (fine dice)
2 medium zucchini (fine dice)
5 teeth of garlic (fine mince)
1 tsp. canola oil
kosher salt and pepper to taste


Technique: Dice all the vegetables so they are of like size. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet and add all the ingredients at once. Saute at medium heat for about 10 minutes and season with kosher salt and pepper. 

As you can see in the pictures, I serve these tacos with green cabbage, fresh onion, fresh jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, and lots of lime. Crema (Mexican sour cream), and queso fresca are a nice addition as well. This recipe is surprisingly low in fat if you choose not to deep fry your tortillas. Dab the tortillas in a tiny bit of oil and heat them on a comal, or in a skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment