Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Power Cookie

Ok, I am on this strict diet for training, and I have been training hard at the gym, and preparing for road/field work as our anemic winter winds down. I cut out most simple carbohydrates out of my diet as well as sugar. After 2 hours at the gym I could feel the lack of those carbs, and wanted to see if we could come up with a compromise to give my body what it craves, yet not destroy the hard effort I have put in on eating this way these past few weeks. I think this is a pretty good effort!

Two of these cookies, and a glass of organic skim milk and I feel rejuvenated immediately! They are not bad at all either.

Alchemy Power Cookie

 (makes 50 cookies)

3 c. organic whole wheat flour (stone ground)
2 c. raisins
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1 c. chocolate chips (optional)
2 cups rolled oats
2 t. kosher salt
2 t. baking powder
1 c. canola oil
1 c. honey
1 cup water


Technique: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and blend well in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the oil and honey together. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend. Add the water and form a rather dry dough. Roll into balls and flatten into disks. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until sides and bottom are slightly brown.

I plan to omit the chocolate chips in the next batch with 1 cup of dried diced apricots. I needed to get this prototype batch passed by my suspecting wife and kids. I worked! Try these, and feel less guilt about a treat after the gym or on the farm. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment