Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thai Inspired Soup


I had to butcher Dover Sole today. I cut 15 pounds of fish and had .90 of a pound of trim left over that would have normally hit the garbage. I feel bad about wasting edible food, and am committed to wasting less every day. So I remembered a presentation I did many years ago for a Thai inspired tasting menu at a restaurant I worked at.
Fish meatballs! they are pretty common in Thai, Chinese, Filipino, and Indonesian cuisines with endless combinations available. A great lean protein, and a great use for fish trim. Add some noodles (I used Udon tonight), some savory broth, and a cheeky garnish and you are there!

The entire preperation was done in less than 30 minutes, and cooking time was 20 minutes. Killer asian food in less than an hour. A shout out to my mate David Caridori who's pottery always inspires great food thoughts. A couple of his pieces are pictured here. Tommorow I am going to make Venison sausage, and Chorizo and
Sweet Potato Empanadas (as well as a vegetarian version). Stay tuned!

Fish Balls

1 lb. White Fish
2 Tbs. Parsley
2 Tbs. Cilantro
3 teeth of Garlic
1 tsp. Black Sesame Seeds
1 tsp. Dulse (kelp)
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Crushed Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup AP Flour

Technique: Combine all ingredients
except flour in a food processor and blend. Move to a mixing bowl and add the flour. Work with fingers until blended. Form balls and chill until ready to use.

Fusion Asian Broth

1 Tbs. Red Miso
1 Tbs. Red Curry Paste
4 cups Vegetable or Chicken stock
1 8oz pkg. Udon (Soba, Rice Stick, whatever)

Technique: Combine miso, curry paste, and stock together in saucepan. Whisk and allow to simmer (when no one is looking, sneak in some Sriracha sauce). Boil water on the side and prepare noodle of choice.

Assembly: Noodles at the bottom of the bowl, three to four fish balls, cover with broth, garnish with chopped scallions, black sesame seeds, and a bunch of cilantro. Serve with chopsticks and large spoon. I served this with a small salad of arugula, cucumber, and red bell pepper in a ginger-toasted sesame dressing I made. Fantastic and very healthy!




No comments:

Post a Comment