Thursday, February 18, 2010

Matambre!

OK! This bad boy rocks! This is the Argentinian version of the Bavarian Rouladen. Basically a flank steak rolled out, striped with pepper bacon (I have used prosciutto, pastrami, black forest ham, etc), hard boiled egg, blanched asparagus, and blanched carrot. Then rolled and tied (trussed). These are awesome grilled over hardwood, or seared in a cast iron skillet and put into a hot oven for 10-12 minutes. I like to serve this cut into medallions with a horseradish creama, or a good drizzle of demi-glace. Perhaps a lovely grilled polenta, or parsnip puree to accompany. Matanbre means "hunger killer", appropriately named I should say. The coolest thing about this creation is the fact that is really easy to pull off. Any 10 thumbed half-wit should be able to pull this off. ITS JUST FOOD PEOPLE!

2 comments:

  1. Its like a big sushi roll! Awesome...will have to try this as I cook flank steak frequently and am always looking for something new to try. Thanks!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This completely destroys the scotch egg, and is now my new dream breakfast. I have ten thumbs...

    ReplyDelete